wrangled and wrinkled.

Saturday, July 22, 2006

I will probably always battle what comes first: a girlfriend, or art. Most girlfriends have not understood the importance of art in my life and my desire to express myself in that way. I feel, that it is the single most expression I can put forth. Writing doesn't do it for me, or anything else. I can put the colors, textures, values etc. That I want to and how I want them. All to create a cohesive piece or work. I have been hearing lately about men who are not passionate. And about how a lot of women are sick of men who lay around all day or are not passionate about this that or the other. But where I come in is my extreme passion for painting and drawing. I think that I am too passionate, it gets in the way of a functioning relationship. I have had one girl who has understood this, and despite her great attempts at taming whatever it is that is the driving force in me...It still failed.

It's been obvious that I don't know what I need, but I always thought this: Someone who appreciates this, and isn't trying (in vain) to funnel this passion into feelings about her. The feelings towards art can never be switched for a girl. I have 2 separate sections for love of art, and love of people.

So basically I need someone who allows me to venture over into the corners of my mind to express myself. Let me be fully done with it and then, when I can fully focus on them, come back and express my love, value, appreciation, etc for them. If that is accomplished, I can really let someone whom I care about know HOW much, and my brain won't be split into a couple different pieces and not able to focus on one thing.

Maybe I need to be psycho-analyzed.

4 comments:

Amanda said...

Your message reminds me of the guy in Fever Pitch. At least your passion isn't something too annoying, like hunting and taxidermy.

Anonymous said...

I think the big reason you are feeling this way is because you are just getting into your art, the exploring phase which at times seems endless. I have felt this way a long time, I am passionate about art, but realize "what's is the rush," to get one more painting under my belt, to get a little bit better, when you realize that your dreams as an artist probably wont start to happen till you are 30 if you are lucky, it puts things into perspective.

I think as you mature as an artist you will become more relaxed and not feel the pressure to constantly create, but as an artist real life things will constantly make you think "how can I apply this to my art" and you will find yourself often consumed with thoughts about art.

Its like me with songwriting, I use to try so hard to constantly be writing songs, two a month, and they would often be forced and not be near as good as when I planned, thought, evaluated and understood that if I get one song every 3 months that is way better than anything I have ever written it is far better than 10 medicore songs that I forced out in two months.

I use to think that I really wanted a girl who was as passionate as me about art and other areas of life, but now I realize that it would be a conflict. Sounds like you need a girl who has interests of her own, and doesnt mind having you work on something while she does something else. I think this is often a challenge in marriages because most of the time men find their worth more in their work than in their family, and women find their worth in their family and less in their worth.

Sounds to me you just need to wait, find contentment in yourself and what you can do for God, and not what a girl can do for you. I know deep down God knows what you need, and if you try to find him first without forcing your art and forcing relationships, you will find that it will work out way smoother than you ever though.

Amanda said...

This guy is very wise. Well said.

Jeff of course said...

Thanks, Baxter. That was very well put.