wrangled and wrinkled.

Thursday, December 29, 2005

"...I'm standing there and she's not talking to me. I couldn't stand it, so I just stepped up and said, "Patti" I put my hand out, doing our old thing, which was the boy handshake. She goes, "Wow Penny, man, wow man, you look exactly the same, man, you look the same." I said, "Yeah so do you." But I didn't feel any connection. I felt there was a Plexiglas screen up. And she goes, "Man, I gotta get a cigarette, I'll be right back." So she goes back to talking to Tom Verlaine, and she doesn't come back. She's not coming back. I'm standing there thinking, What the fuck am I doing here? I don't wanna be here. As soon as I heard it in my head, I went over to Pattu and said "Patti, I'm sorry, I'm gonna split. I really don't want to be here, I just came down to see you."

She said, "Wait a minute, where are you going man? Where are you going?" I said, "Well I'm gonna split." So patti goes "Well where are you living man? Are you living in Spain? Or are you living in Maine? Where are you living man?"

I said, "I'm living in Maine." and she goes "Aw Penn, Penny, man I don't feel so good, I don't feel so good, my stomach hurts." I put my hand on her stomach, and I said, "What's the matter, Patti?" She was going, "Man you know..."

I looked at her and I suddenly realized who Patti had been--like who she'd been to her friends--she was now using that in this public way. So she couldn't be that to me anymore, because now it was for everyone. And I realized that Patti had sixteen people around her telling her that she was the best thing since sliced bread, and for her to see someone like me, who knew her, she just couldn't see me. And I felt really bad for her. But I didn't want to be there."

?

No comments: